Statistical Consulting Questions
HomeStatistical Consulting Questions
Statistical Consulting Questions
What is statistical consulting?
- Helping you design appropriate and valid experiments
- Assisting with selecting and analyzing of instruments
- Guiding you in determining required sample size for valid results
- Working with you to select and conduct statistical analysis
- Coaching you with the interpretation, writing-up and explaining of your results
When in the process should I seek statistical analysis consultation?Properly planned statistical analysis is the basis for a successful dissertation. Get in touch with a trained statistical expert as early in the process as possible. Avoid the headache and expense of having to re-do work because you got off on the wrong foot. .… In fact, call me as soon as you have an idea of what you want to do!
Who is typical statistical consulting client?
- Doctoral students from multiple disciplines who are struggling with research statistics, sample size determination or interpretation of statistics.
- Graduate students looking for an accepted and ethical way to more quickly and effectively develop and complete their dissertation.
What qualifications should a good statistical consultant have?A solid background in statistics and social / behavioral sciences is the ideal combination. You’ll get expert level understanding of how to effectively use statistical data analysis together with the knowledge of solid research methods and techniques. It’s a winning combination you won’t get by hiring a consultant who is a statistician alone.
What are the main benefits of hiring a statistical consultant?
- To help you move through the dissertation process faster
- To offer guidance if you get stuck somewhere in their research, analyses or statistical procedures
- To show you how to avoid common upfront errors that cause delays and costly mistakes later on in the process
- To help you more easily grasp complex statistical and data oriented concepts that are outside your area of expertise.
What will you do as my statistical consultant?I will review your research hypotheses, instruments, data analysis plan, sample size calculation, and assist with your methodology and results chapters of your dissertation.
There are many books that teach you to use SAS or that teach you to use R. There is at least one book that...
[latexpage] In his wonderful book "A Mathematician's Lament" Paul Lockhart...
This is a talk I've given at Northeast SAS Users Group (NESUG) and at SAS Global Forum (SGF)
The average, or mean, is one of the simplest statistics there is. You have a bunch of numbers, you add them...
At first, this seems quite simple. Weigh yourself Monday. Weigh yourself next Monday. Did your weight go...
In statistics and research design, there are two types of study: Experiments and observational studies. Some...
This is a book of recreational mathematics, but it is relatively serious. Several of the chapters have some...
Statistical consulting for researchers in the social, behavioral and medical sciences.
Many times, researchers will categorize continuous variables. For example, birth weight of human infants is...
I will be giving a 4 hour course at SESUG in Savannah this fall. The course is titled: Lies, damn lies...
[latexpage] Sometimes we want to compare the spread of a distribution to its mean. This can be useful when we...
In this article I showed some problems with the average or arithmetic mean and in this one I discussed...