Statistical Consulting Questions
HomeStatistical Consulting Questions
Statistical Consulting Questions
What is statistical consulting?
- Helping you design appropriate and valid experiments
- Assisting with selecting and analyzing of instruments
- Guiding you in determining required sample size for valid results
- Working with you to select and conduct statistical analysis
- Coaching you with the interpretation, writing-up and explaining of your results
When in the process should I seek statistical analysis consultation?Properly planned statistical analysis is the basis for a successful dissertation. Get in touch with a trained statistical expert as early in the process as possible. Avoid the headache and expense of having to re-do work because you got off on the wrong foot. .… In fact, call me as soon as you have an idea of what you want to do!
Who is typical statistical consulting client?
- Doctoral students from multiple disciplines who are struggling with research statistics, sample size determination or interpretation of statistics.
- Graduate students looking for an accepted and ethical way to more quickly and effectively develop and complete their dissertation.
What qualifications should a good statistical consultant have?A solid background in statistics and social / behavioral sciences is the ideal combination. You’ll get expert level understanding of how to effectively use statistical data analysis together with the knowledge of solid research methods and techniques. It’s a winning combination you won’t get by hiring a consultant who is a statistician alone.
What are the main benefits of hiring a statistical consultant?
- To help you move through the dissertation process faster
- To offer guidance if you get stuck somewhere in their research, analyses or statistical procedures
- To show you how to avoid common upfront errors that cause delays and costly mistakes later on in the process
- To help you more easily grasp complex statistical and data oriented concepts that are outside your area of expertise.
What will you do as my statistical consultant?I will review your research hypotheses, instruments, data analysis plan, sample size calculation, and assist with your methodology and results chapters of your dissertation.
We very often set the cutoff for a significant p value at 0.05, and minimal acceptable power at 0.8....
Question: How can any stochastic phenomenon follow a continuous distribution, since the probability of...
Stevens (Stevens 1946) divided types of variables into four categories, and these have become entrenched in...
Question: Does the butterfly effect imply that correlation implies causation? My answer: No. The butterfly...
In an earlier article, we looked at simple linear regression, which involves one independent variable (IV) and...
People often transform their variables. There are two sorts of transformation: One is to simply multiply all...
Part of the default output from PROC LOGISTIC is a table that has entries including`percent concordant' and...
BMI, or body mass index, is calculated by dividing by weight by height squared. Specifically, it's weight in...
To get a good answer, you must write a good question. Answering a statistics question without context is like...
I'll bootstrap from here to eternity 'Cause that's my statistics fraternity The idea is quite old But it...
These are the slides for a talk at New York Area SAS Users' Group on June 2, 2011.
Question: How does ridge regression work? My answer: OLS models are BLUE - best linear unbiased...