As a researcher your area of expertise is not statistics. Yet the preparation of a successful article involves conducting effective research, analyzing data and presenting the results… all of which require a high level of mathematical and statistical expertise. Hiring a statistical consultant lets you focus on becoming an expert in your field of study rather than try to master statistics. .I can help you develop a successful article from initial idea to submission to a journal and can offer assistance with any or all of these steps:
- Research Methodology - get your research started on the right track and you'll save yourself loads of time and energy later on in the process. I can show you how to avoid common mistakes and assumptions.
- Research Design - the reliability of you results is crucial to your success. I can show you the best ways to design research to test your hypothesis
- Variables are the basis of the predetermined theory being tested. They must also be operationalized. I'll be there to give you experienced guidance and the necessary statistical expertise.
- Sample Size Calculation and justification - It is often difficult to select the right sample size. Too small a sample - and you may not be able to give good evidence for your hypothesis. Too large a sample, and you waste time, effort and money collecting data. I can work with you to do an appropriate power analysis so that you select an appropriate sample size and can justify it to your committee.
- Statistical techniques - there are many statistical methods that serve a wide variety of purposes I'll work with you to select the one that answers your questions, so that your substantive questions drive the statistical analysis, rather than the other w around. These methods include:
- Linear regression
- Dichotomous logistic regression
- Ordinal logistic regression
- Multinomial logistic regression
- Quantile regression
- Poisson regression and other methods for count data
- Various types of survival analysis
- Multilevel models of various kinds
- LogLinear models
- Factor analysis
- Principal component analysis
- Multidimensional scaling
- Cluster analysis
- Additve models
- Multiple imputation
- An extensive array of graphical procedures
- Validity and Reliability of Results - valid research requires much more that simply collecting data and conducting statistical analysis. I can help you determine the reliability and validity of your instruments.
- Interpretation of Results - Accurate interpretation of results and presentation of results in an appropriate format can make or break your article. I can help you pull your research together into a compelling presentation that is reliable and valid.
Sensitivity and specificity are measures of the effectiveness of a diagnostic test. Most often they are used...
In a previous post, I dealt with some SAS code for scatterplots. Various problems can arise when using...
A frequentist fellow named Smith Kept silent (he pleaded the fifth) When the judge inquired Re assumptions...
[latexpage] The chi-square test can refer to several different types of tests. Here I will discuss the...
This is a book of recreational mathematics, but it is relatively serious. Several of the chapters have some...
If you often have regression problems in which you have a great many independent variables, partial least...
When you have a categorical independent variable with more than 2 levels, you need to define it with a CLASS...
This is a talk that I gave at NDRI. I also gave a version of this talk at Yale and at BrainScope
Cluster analysis is a set of methods for finding subjects (people, corporations, drugs, whatever) that "go...
One question that sometimes arises in doing statistical analysis is whether to use a sophisticated method that...
Q: What does it mean when standard deviation is higher than the mean? My answer: It depends on the nature...
To get a good answer, you must write a good question. Answering a statistics question without context is like...